Commercial lighting is a phrase used to refer to lighting installed in commercial spaces, such as distribution centres, factories, warehouses, offices, dealerships, churches, and restaurants. Commercial lighting is designed to withstand more wear and tear and last for longer than residential lighting.
Commercial Lighting Systems
Commercial lighting systems are generally adapted to a specific application. For example, in an office environment, you might require lighting that illuminates regions where staff members need concentrated light, such as work desks and spaces. Conversely, warehouses generally select lighting that limits glare and offers a wider delivery of illumination.
Recently, commercial lighting has gravitated towards light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and away from traditional light forms, including fluorescent, metal halide bulbs and incandescent light, for good reason.
Companies generally choose commercial LED lighting to be more energy-efficient, safer, and save on maintenance costs. LEDs also have dimming capabilities, are more durable, and have an increased lifespan. All these features result in money saved.
What is LED?
LED means light-emitting diode. Diodes are made up of two electrodes and electricity flows through these electrodes in one direction. An LED light bulb functions by delivering an electric current through a diode (which is a semiconductor), which results in light.
What Type of Commercial Business Can Benefit From Led Lighting?
Here are examples of commercial businesses that can benefit from LED lighting:
LED lights are ideal for offices since they provide uninterrupted, eco-friendly lighting. In the office space, light consumption can become an issue, so LED lights are ideal.
LED Tube Lights for offices – LED tube lights are the perfect replacement for tube fluorescent lighting, which has commonly been installed in offices, underground parking regions, or workshops. LED tube lights provide better brightness, improved energy, longer lifespans, and enhanced efficiency, in comparison to fluorescent lights.
Restaurants generally opt for lighting that is not too powerful, creating an intimate, cozy experience.
LED Strip Lights for restaurants – These strip lights give a restaurant a sleek and modern feel. You can use these lights for accent and general illumination. LED strip lights are available in RGB, single colour, dim-to-warm, tunable white, and addressable LED strips. In addition, you can add motion sensors.
A restaurant owner can also use LED light strips to showcase their restaurant name. Some restaurants also go with small LED bulbs for ambient lighting, along with recessed and track lighting in some cases.
LED Neon Lights for restaurants – You must gain the attention of people walking by your restaurant. LED neon lights do this job the best. These lights are bright and enhance the visibility of your restaurant. You can also use LED neon lights for indoor areas, giving the space a unique feel.
3. Entertainment Venues
When it comes to entertainment venues, you can use all kinds of LED lighting. A very interesting option is LED up lights or LED pixel tube lights. LED string lights can add extra appeal, and they are inexpensive.
Some venues also opt for LED light strips, LED panel lights, or even track lights or LED downlights.
4. Night Clubs
A nightclub needs good lighting, and LED lighting systems fit right in. LED ceilings and even LED panels can be a solid option, offering that unique, engaging nightclub atmosphere.
LED Strip Lights for nightclubs – These lights are compact and flexible, making them ideal for accent, mood, and decorative lighting in nightclubs. LED strip lights are typically used for signage, window trims, display cabinets, and stairways.
5. Shopping Malls
LED tubes tend to be common in shopping malls because they can help illuminate larger areas. Drop ceiling LED lights are also a solid option for malls as are flat LED panels or recessed LED lighting.
LED Panel Lights for shopping malls – Panel lights are ideal for retail environments or office spaces. These LED lights are sleek and provide uniform light dispersal while reducing glare. Shopping malls will typically replace traditional fluorescent ceiling lights with LED panels, cutting down on energy costs and increasing the lifespan of their lighting.
Warehouses can benefit from a vast range of LED lights. Common options include LED tubes but also LED strip lights or even troffer lights. In general, a warehouse manager will decide which lighting to use according to the size of the warehouse, what is stored in the warehouse, and where the lighting is needed most.
LED High Bay Lights for warehouses – LED high bay lights are suitable for factories, large commercial spaces, and warehouses. These lights provide powerful illumination and a solid light supply. They also offer an energy-efficient substitute for traditional high-intensity discharge (HD) lamps.
Reasons Why You Should Use Commercial LED Lighting
LED lights have benefits for every commercial and industrial facility. The advantages of LEDs are widespread, reaching management in the offices, the ground workers, the customers outside of the building, and the corporate members of the corporation.
Here are the general benefits of commercial LED lighting:
- Increased worker morale and productivity
- Improved brightness in the building
- A decrease in health-related problems connected with traditional lighting (including headaches)
- A dramatic decrease in the electrical bill of a facility
- Lower carbon footprint
- Helps corporate leaders achieve sustainability goals
Here are additional benefits of using LED lighting in commercial businesses:
1. Save Money – Commercial LED lighting can help you save money since these lighting systems consume less energy. Commercial businesses tend to use a variety of lights and pay high energy bills. LED lights can help reduce the amount of energy a commercial building spends on lighting.
2. Adaptability – LED lights tend to be smaller, so you can easily adapt them to a multitude of lighting applications. This means you can pick whichever lighting system works for your commercial business and adapt it accordingly.
3. No Warmup Time – LED lights do not need any warmup time. Regular bulbs can take up to 15 minutes until they warm up and deliver full power. LED lighting provides your commercial space with full power right away. This means better efficiency, fewer complications, and a focus on quality all the time.
4. On and Off Switch – Unlike metal halides that can take 20 minutes to turn on, you can switch LED lights on and off without waiting. Furthermore, when you turn a LED light on/off you will not lower the light output or degrade the device.
5. Motion Sensors – LED lights work well with motion sensors, meaning you can save money by automatically turning lights on when they are needed and automatically turning them off when they are no longer required.
6. Increased Lifespan – LEDs have a noticeably longer lifespan than traditional lighting systems. Used properly, these lights can last up to at least 50000 hours. This is up to 8-10 times longer than a traditional bulb.
Lighting accounts for around 5% of the global CO2 emissions, thus, lowering the overall lighting consumption helps the environment.
Design Tips and Ideas for Your LED Lighting System
Tip # 1. Select Different Shapes
When you choose your LED light installation, you can opt for a variety of LED shapes. There are traditional LEDs, but there are also a variety of other shapes and colours. Selecting specific shapes or colours can help you customize your lighting to meet the needs of your commercial building.
Tip #2. Using LED Light Bars
An LED light bar offers a creative way to improve lighting while also offering portability. Unlike other methods, these light bars are very easy to move. They also deliver superior floor lighting.
Tip #3. Consider LED Light Strips
Light strips are like light bars. However, they provide more flexibility since you can shape these lights as you wish. This flexibility gives you more leeway when it comes to creating stunning, unique lighting arrangements for your business.
LED light strips are ideal for restaurants, bars, or any business that wants to create a unique atmosphere.
Think About Switching to LED Lights
Not all commercial businesses can undertake an overnight switch to LED lighting. It is best to start changing your lighting to LED lights in areas and places management, your staff, or your customers use most frequently. This strategy will create immediate savings by reducing your energy consumption.
Transitioning your lights in stages lets you check various types of LED lights to discover which lighting system works best for your commercial space.