Choose PRF Electrical as experienced electricians for all your LED Lighting Installation requirements.
When choosing new light fittings, LED should be your first option.
New energy efficient LED downlights can directly replace energy hungry halogens with up to 80% energy savings for the same light output, including PAR38 LED for your garden floods, LED pond and garden lights, LED flouro replacements.
The smartest thing you can do before you commit to changing over to LED is to talk to a reputable, professional electrician who doesn’t have a vested interest in selling you an expensive LED system. You need to find someone who stands by the tried and true adage:
The right light in the right place at the right time.
There are also a number of issues around LED usage that you’re probably not aware of, but that you should understand before committing to a changeover. These include:
- LED won’t eliminate maintenance costs – even if the light lasts a long time, the luminaire itself will accumulate dirt and dust, needing cleaning. In difficult to access spaces, this can be a considerable maintenance cost.
- Failure can be expensive – in some cases, if an LED fails, you will need to replace the light fitting itself, which can be a significant expense.
- Long life is not necessarily long light – although the lamp itself may last 100,000 hours, this will probably be at significantly reduced light output. Check the L70 figure – the point at which the LED will still be operating, but at 30% or more lower lumen output. Can you afford to have decreased lighting, or do you need higher luminosity at all times? This may affect how often you need to replace the LED fittings.
- Temperature can be a light killer – LEDs operate better in cooler ambient environments, and they have limited heat tolerance. If the heat sink is inefficient or the heat cannot be adequately dissipated, the unit may have a curtailed performance life, or even fail.
- Some LEDs can flicker – There are many different LED “driver” technologies, and some produce a variety of flicker characteristics in SSL systems under specific conditions, notably dimming.
Your options are almost unlimited, and PRF offers a professional design and installation service. We recommend using an Australian based manufacturer like Pierlite, to ensure that the fitting will be supported by the manufacturer for years to come.